Become an NPC at Myth
So you want to be an NPC? NPCing is your chance to experience just how much fun live-action roleplaying at Myth can be without needing to invest in costuming or weapons. This side of the Game is ideal for people who love roleplaying variety, staying on the go, and being part of the team that breathes life into the game world. It is also a great way to dip your proverbial toes in the water before jumping in headfirst into LARPing.
We expect our NPCs to have read the Game rulebook and understand how skills work before participating in events. Our Quick-Start Rules help to speed that process along. Myth also offers pre-game Rule Workshops to get you on track and answer any questions you may have. We host this workshop on the Friday evening of the event.
Participating in Myth as an NPC will not prevent you from becoming a Player later on. If you are a long-term NPC or member of our Storytellers (Plot writing team), we may ask you to wait a season before switching over. This waiting period gives our stories time to change up before you join the Players.
Why Registering in Advance is Important
We order all food, snacks, and drink quantities several days before the event, based on our list of NPCs who have registered in advance. Knowing who is attending ensures there is enough for everyone and helps us plan roles.
Note: You must be at least 18 years old to NPC at Myth (16 and 17-year-olds need to have their parents sign our participant agreement).
7 Reasons to NPC at Myth
- Free Admission: NPCing at Myth is free.
- Free Membership: Membership to Myth is free. All you need to do is attend at least one event, and you’re officially a member.
- Free Food: Myth provides all NPCs breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday of the event, plus breakfast on Sunday. A professional chef prepares quality meals that make the whole experience worth it for the food alone. We also provide you with snacks and drinks between meals, so you’re hydrated and well-fed at all times.
- Easy Rules: We designed the Game rules with people new to LARP in mind. Getting into the action is easy, and we also offer Rule Workshops before the event starts to make you more comfortable.
- Great Amenities: Heated sleeping area, hot showers, flush toilets, and other modern conveniences make this adventure in storytelling fun and comfortable.
- Costumes and Weapons Not Required: Myth supplies all of the costumes and weapons you will need to play a variety of roles throughout the event.
- Make Friends: Like Players at Myth, you’ll make a lot of new friends on the NPC side as well. The more you’re with us, the more lasting friendships you will forge.
- Where to go: Once you’ve parked your vehicle in the parking lot, you’ll notice the large building overlooking it (Pictured above). As an NPC, you can enter through one of the doors on the lower level. The downstairs area is known as Game Operations (Ops). It is where all NPCs operate to make the game story happen.
- Check-In: Once you’ve entered Game Operations, ask if there is anyone from Member Services around. If no one is available, ask for the Director, Assistant Director, or GM (Game Manager). Anyone can show you where to sign in. Member Services will be able to show you around and get you familiar with the people and the camp.
- Unpacking Your Car: It is essential to know that there are no vehicles allow on-site while the Game is running. This restriction doesn’t affect NPCs who typically move their gear from the parking lot into the lower level of the tavern building. Work with Member Services for the best time to move your bedding into the common area. Game Check-in takes place in the common area, so setting up bedding usually takes place after this around 9:00 pm.
- Rules Workshop: Our Rule Workshop covers game rules. This workshop typically takes place around 8:00 to 8:30 pm on the Friday evening of the event.
- Game Start: The action at Myth begins at 10:00 pm. Ideally, NPCs will be in Game Operations and ready to go before 9:30 pm.
- First Aid Kit or First-aid supplies
- Insect repellent
- Spare eyeglasses/contact lens supplies. Contacts are the preferred way to see at Myth. They allow you to wear masks more efficiently, and combat won’t knock them off your head.
- Cellphone & charger
- Light: Having a small flashlight or glowstick for emergencies is advisable. You shouldn’t use a flashlight to walk around the game area unless there is an emergency.
- Prescription medications
- Painkillers (like ibuprofen or aspirin)
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Hand sanitizer
- Quick Drying Towel (2)
- Menstrual products
- Alcohol or antiseptic wipes
- Sleeping Bag / Blankets
- Air Mattress and a means to inflate it
- Footlocker and combination lock. Use this to store things like car keys.
- Mosquito net: while not required, mosquitos happen, and keeping them off of you is golden.
- Non-descript black clothing. This attire is often black sweats with no logos that can be worn underneath the costuming Myth provides. Long sleeve tops are preferred.
- Underwear: Six pairs of underwear to start. You may need more or less. Moisture-wicking underwear is the best choice.
- Long Underwear: Long underwear is very helpful during the colder months. Most costuming at Myth makes you look good but doesn’t necessarily keep you warm.
- T-Shirts: Six logo-free black t-shirts help layer in warmer or cooler times of the year. Long-sleeve and short-sleeve options are best.
- Socks: We recommend bringing around six pairs of socks as a starting point. You may find this to be too few. Consider synthetic or wool.
- Warm hat: During the colder months, a non-descript black hat helps with warmth while playing monsters.
- Gloves: During the colder months, gloves are wise to have. As with everything else, something non-descript and black is perfect.
- Shoes/Boots: black or brown boots, sneakers, or shoes with no logos are ideal for footwear.
- Belt: Myth has belts, but they are not always the perfect fit for every body type. Having a belt or two of your own is advised.
- Alcohol and/or Illegal Drugs: If you are suspected of being under the influence, you will be removed from the event.
- Real Weapons: Guns, swords, and real weapons are not allowed at Myth. Please leave them at home as bringing them could result in disciplinary action.
- LARP Weapons & Armor: Myth provides all of your game weapons. If you choose to bring your own, they must pass a safety inspection before being allowed in the Game.
- Spell Packets: If we have you playing a spell caster, we’ll provide the spell packets you need to succeed.
- Water: You are welcome to bring a water bottle to keep in your sleeping area or Game Operations. Myth will provide water as well as Gatorade to keep you properly hydrated.
- Costuming: Since Myth supplies your costuming, anything you choose to bring is optional. Please make sure to stow your personal costuming after use, so it isn’t mixed in with Myth costumes and lost.
- Expensive valuables: Leave your laptop, expensive costuming, cash, or anything else you wouldn’t leave alone on a public table.
- Refrigerator: While food for NPCs at Myth is free, you may choose to bring something specific to accommodate your dietary needs. There is a refrigerator in the common area where any food you’d like to bring can be stored. Please be considerate of how much you store, so others have space for things they need to bring.
- Heat: During the colder months, the building has heat. There is also a fireplace for more warmth and ambiance.
- Electricity: You will have access to electrical outlets, which can be used to power a fan, CPAP machines, electric blankets, etc. This building also has a backup generator.
- Mattresses: There will be camp mattresses available for those who need them. We recommend bringing an air mattress if you have one.
- Bathrooms/Showers: There are modern bathrooms on the upper and lower floors of the tavern building. The bathrooms on the lower level have modern, clean shower stalls.
- Notify the Director: For safety purposes, please let the Director know you are sleeping outdoors and where your tent is. Knowing where you will enable us to find you in the event of an emergency.
- Stay Out of Game: Your tent may not be in the gameplay area. If you aren’t sure where you can set up, ask us. We are here to help.
- Lock Things Up: Do not keep valuables in your tent. Instead, lock them in your vehicle or a large footlocker. Myth is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Electricity: You may be able to run a 50′ – 100′ extension cord from the tavern building to your tent. This option is not guaranteed. Do not use electric heaters in your tent.
- Tent (Be sure you have all the necessary poles and stakes)
- Mallet (To secure stakes in the ground)
- Sunshade or tarp
- Sleeping bags
- Sleeping pads or a light air mattress
- Pocket knife